Friday 5 May 2017

Graphic 45 Beneath the Sea altered book part 2!

Well hello again, design elf Katrina here to show you the rest of my Beneath the Sea altered book made using the Graphic 45 papers of the same name.                     If you missed part 1 and would like to see the first few pages you can find that post here -      http://thefruitpixie.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/graphic-45-voyage-beneath-sea-altered.html   So back to the altered book.
So the first page we are looking at in this post is the reverse of the folded page
 
 
On the left hand folded page I used one of the lovely mermaid stamps from the Graphic 45 papers Deep blue dreams. The quote is one of the Graphic 45 stamps and then I added some die cuts and highlighted it all using the Ranger distress crayons and a white pen.
 
As it was an Under the sea theme I wanted a port hole in my book. So I glued the pages of the next section together, left them to dry overnight and then drew round the right size circle I wanted, after searching through every cupboard in the house, and then slowly cut it out using a craft knife with a sharp blade in it.
 
I cut the two port holes out of scrap card using two circle dies and used Candies as rivets. I then covered the port hole with the same aluminium tape, you can buy at DIY stores, as I used for the cover. As this stretches I could use a ball tool to go around the Candies to make them look like rivets. I then coloured the porthole using alcohol ink in the same way as I did for the cover.
I glued acetate to the back of both of the portholes. Then I glued the first porthole to the page lining it up with the hole I cut in the book pages. Then I turned the page over and added some watch parts and coloured shell bits (I bought these from the Pound shop, they were in the beauty part as they are to stick to your nails) to the centre of the acetate. I then glued the second porthole to the page lining it up with the first one.
 
Now the difficult part...... wait for it to dry!! If you don't and tip it up it will all stick to the glue and won't be a shaker porthole, believe me I know from experience!
 
I then added a die cut seahorse and one of the stamped quotes finishing it off with distress crayons and white pen.
 
 
Then on the other side of the shaker porthole I added some of the paper parts and for the facing page I used one of the picture quotes from the Graphic 45 beneath the sea wild wild waves paper. I wanted to be able to see the divers helmet through the porthole and it worked too!
 
 
 
The next couple of pages I added some ink through stencils, some more of the beautiful picture quotes from this paper line together with die cuts and some distress crayon smudging. Also some white paint splatters as I did throughout the book.
 
Then we get to the final page!!!
 
It was the reason why I wanted to do the altered book to begin with. The beautiful mermaid picture. I wanted her in a deep frame.
 
 
The way you get this look is to use ruler and pencil to mark out the frame you want. I do that before I do any painting at all, right at the beginning as part of your prep work.
 
Hold all the pages for the depth of your frame together and glue around the outside of the pages, on all four sides. Clamp them together with pegs or clips if you can. If not then put some baking paper between the paper block and the next page to stop it sticking to the rest of the book and put something heavy on top. Let it dry completely over night.
 
Once its dry, using a craft knife with a new blade and a steel ruler, slowly cut around the frame. Cut through a few pages at a time removing the pages as you go, until you get the depth you want. Don't try to do it all in one go. Take this easy as its a lot of cutting, so take breaks and keep a sharp blade in you knife. One of the reasons we stuck the pages together just on the outside edge and didn't glue the complete page to each other was so you can remove the pages easier and you are not having to cut through all that glue as well as paper.
 
Once you have cut out your frame you can glue anything you think needs glueing together and then decorate. Using a paper frame around your cut frame will hide any rough edges. 
 
I used the panel from the Graphic 45 beneath the sea wild wild waves paper but cut the frame off to use as a frame of my cut frame.
 
The left hand page has been stencilled and then a panel and a couple of borders used to decorate the page. I also used a stamped quote and a couple of die cuts as well as my distress crayons and white pen to add some arty touches.
 
Well, thats it the whole book. Thank you for staying with me to the end. I really hope you enjoyed it and will have a go at an altered book yourself, they really are great fun to do. There are no rules just do what you like in your style, believe me you will love it.
 
The Graphic 45 papers can be found in the shop here -
http://www.thefruitpixie.co.uk/voyage-beneath-the-sea-697-c.asp
 
White pen here -
http://www.thefruitpixie.co.uk/inkssentials-white-opaque-pigment-ink-pen-5352-p.asp
 
Candi as part of a Craftwork Cards paper pack -
http://www.thefruitpixie.co.uk/craftwork-cards-8-x-8-collection-pack-bohemian-dreams-25673-p.asp
 
 
See you next time with another project
              Love Katrina

No comments:

Post a Comment